Saturday, March 8, 2014

Forest Girl



It has been a long time since I have joined in the weekly drawing challenge.
This weeks prompt was 'hair'


And my girl's hair came straight from the forest. 

While I was working on it, I kept hearing Mary Oliver's beautiful poem in my head. 

Sleeping In The Forest

I thought the earth remembered me, she
took me back so tenderly, arranging
her dark skirts, her pockets
full of lichens and seeds. I slept
as never before, a stone
on the riverbed, nothing
between me and the white fire of the stars
but my thoughts, and they floated
light as moths among the branches
of the perfect trees.  All night
I heard the small kingdoms breathing
around me, the insects, and the birds 
who do their work in the darkness. All night
I rose and fell, as if in water, grappling
with a luminous doom. By morning
I had vanished at least a dozen times
into something better.

- Mary Oliver


Which made me want to see what she looked like in my fig tree. 



For more interpretation of 'hair' make sure to visit the blog of  tiny WOOLF

16 comments:

  1. She is so lovely and looks as though she could teach us all about the forest from where she came. What a pretty poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy the effects of combining word and visual poetry. Forest girl could be kin to Green man?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so lovely to meet you through this challenge!
    What a beautiful illustration :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your images made me think woman as the mother earth, thank you for the wonderful drawings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Kim,
    your girl from the woods to me looks like from the Classical Antiquity, archaic... simply beautiful!

    A redhead and a strawberry blond, too? Amazing!
    xo Ariane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is wildly wonderful!
    enchanted forest wonderful.
    this is one of my all time favorite poems. I even memorized it, which does not come easily to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really can't go wrong with Mary Oliver can you! she knocks em out of the park every time...
    this is a lovely drawing Kim and such a switch from your recent work- really fun to see and enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Kim, nice to see you in the challenge again! Your nature girl looks fabulous in the fig tree. She looks like someone who'd enjoy dancing in the woods. Lovely. xo Carole

    ReplyDelete
  9. well! she looks like she belongs, to herself, to nature, to your fig tree.... reading the poem here with your girl in mind is a match made in heaven. i was also thinking, now people chose cremation (well, here anyway) rather than ground burial, the meaning of being buried changes drastically. lichen kind of lose their occupation...
    great food for thought though...
    thxs for playing, kim! n♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. She looks very at home in your fig tree. Very different from your recent work. She would be very at home in the forest with her hair.

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice to see you agian
    and to come over here
    so much beauty to discover
    like your fine forest beauty!!
    a fairy frothe Woods

    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. so many mistakes.....
    nice to see you AGAIN
    a fairy FROM THE woods
    .... sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so fantastic! I was just hiking in the forest and mountains today looking at the lichen and thinking how much like hair it looks. Nicely done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like this one ma! You amaze me :)

    ReplyDelete